CultureMix Arts Ltd (CultureMix) is a company aiming to widen accessibility to steel pan music and carnival arts.
Established in 1985 by its founder and artistic director Mary-Venetia Genis, the Berkshire based organisation is a not for profit company limited by guarantee providing structured educational music services, professional development, training, and steel bands for entertainment and events.
What we do
• With an creative team of musicians who are workshop facilitators and musical arrangers we nurture and develop award winning Reading All Steel Percussion Orchestra at our Centre for Steel Pan Music.
• We manage professional community-based arts activities including annual carnivals, showcase and championship events, and international tours.
• We run participatory steel pan music and carnival arts workshops for all age groups in the private, public and voluntary sector.
• We project manage and deliver a cultural music service for all key stages of primary and secondary schools, independent and specialist schools, colleges and universities.
• We provide steel bands, ensembles, orchestras, Carnival dancers and Calypsonians for functions and events.
• We advise and support the development of new steel bands including sourcing good quality instruments and ongoing tuning services.
• We take a pro-active role in the development of cultural music and arts in the UK and internationally.
• We pride ourselves on belonging to and representing our community at every level - from our artists, to our tutors and trainee interns, through to our audiences and participants.
• We provide work experience, internships and tutor training for young people and music teachers, inside and outside the school system.
• We work locally, regionally, nationally and internationally to promote the benefits of creative development.
Clients and partners past and present:
BBC, Sky Sports, Arts Council England, St John's Ambulance, Milestone Museum, PHAB, Price Waterhouse Cooper, West Berkshire Council, Boyes Turner, Thames Valley University, Ferrari, Watermill Theatre, Bath & NE Somerset Music Service, National Grid
Reading Borough Council, Portsmouth Music Services, The Commonwealth Secretariat, Slough Music Services, Womad, The Salvation Army, The Shore Dundee, Primary Care Trust, Ryde Carnival Development, Henley Youth Festival, Milton Margai Freetown, Creative Partnerships, South Hill Park Arts Centre, Hampshire County Council. and many more.
RASPO is a member of the British Association of Steel Bands (BAS).
In 2006 CultureMix successfully applied for strategic development funding from Arts Council England for the organisation and the orchestra. The two year project established the company infrastructure and nurtured a professional performance ensemble for RASPO. The project was supported by Reading Borough Council who provided the Abbey Gateway.
Contact CultureMix Arts
CultureMix Arts and Music
"The CultureMix team are highly motivated, enthusiastic, talented and simply inspirational."
Mrs Morley - Head teacher
Berkshire Primary School
CultureMix manages a range of projects and artists including Reading All Steel Percussion Orchestra (RASPO) started in 1999 as a community activity.
Now one of the leading steel bands in the UK CultureMix organises bookings, tours, professional development and training for RASPO musicians.
Mary-Venetia Genis, the founder and artistic director of CultureMix Arts Ltd.
Mary's profile and biography >